Chronicle

The Lyceum Alpinum Zuoz celebrated its 100th Anniversary in 2004. Founded by five visionaries from the Engadin in 1904, the "Institut Engiadina", as it was then called, had 22 students in its first year. It was run by a director and two teachers. It developed as an international school which dedicated itself not only to knowledge and learning, but also to physical exercise and sports. This led to the motto which is still valid in our present-day age: "mens sana in corpore sano".

1902

A group of influential men from the Engadin (Gilli, Juvalta, Planta, Geer, Jäger, Töndury) assigns the building contract to the architect Koller, St. Moritz.

1904

On 15 June the Institut Engiadina opens its doors in Zuoz with ten Swiss, four American, three French, three English and two Russian students.

1913

Construction of new premises : Grosshaus (for 58 students), administrative building with a theatre and concert hall, dining hall, indoor pool, director’s apartment and a medical centre.

1921

The "Lyceum Alpinum Zuoz" is granted the right to conduct state examinations.

1922

By purchasing a meadow of 60, 000 m2, the Lyceum Alpinum acquires the sports fields near the River Inn („AI“) and the highest cricket pitch in Europe.

1930

First German Abitur examinations at the Lyceum Alpinum.

1964

Opening of the Arvenhaus (with classrooms, labs and storerooms for science subjects).

1973

The school’s Swiss Matura certificates receive federal recognition.

1977

Construction of a triple sports hall.

1991

Admission of girl boarders and establishment of a media centre.

1997

The Lyceum Alpinum is given permission to conduct examinations for the International Baccalaureate (IB).

1999

The Chesa Arpiglia is built (40 modern single rooms for girls, five multifunctional classrooms).

2003

The regional secondary school La Plaiv moves into premises of the Lyceum Alpinum.

2004

The 100th Anniversary is celebrated with festivities lasting several days. Old Boys and Young Girls from all over the world take part.

2007

The completely renovated Nadighaus (former Arvenhaus) is inaugurated; it offers new facilities for science and music classes.

2008

Award of Accreditation by the Council of International Schools.

2011

Opening of the school’s own theatre , the Zuoz Globe, in the old swimming pool.

2013

Grosshaus turns 100.

2015

Opening of Chesa Urezza (state-of-the-art classrooms and new rooms for 59 senior girls)